Tuesday, July 12, 2016

12 July 2016 - Elder Milius Week 1

Hello Friends and Family,


(First thing is first: I wish I could share everything with you guys but I can’t. So, I hope that the things I do share help bring the spirit into your life and help you call come closer to Christ.)


The first week at the MTC was an experience to say the least. It feels like only yesterday that I was dropped off but it also feels like I’ve been here forever. The days definitely are long and the weeks definitely fly by.
After first arriving I was getting thrown a bunch of new information all at once. A teacher described the feeling like drinking out of a fire hydrant and that was what the first few days felt like. All we were hearing as new missionaries was get through Sunday and everything else will be great so we will see how this coming week goes and I’ll let you know if that is true or not.
A couple things that I have learned that I want to share with you all this week:
  1. The Spirit is real. I know that I’ve said this before but I never knew that truthfulness of it until arriving at the MTC. There is a difference between someone praying for the spirit and someone who has been particularly set apart as a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ praying for the spirit. I wish I could share with you all the constant feeling of the Holy Ghost that is present here at the MTC.
  2. Love everyone. My personality is such that I figured this would be easy, but it goes beyond the love that you and me might think of. As missionaries we are told to develop Charity, the pure love of Christ, for all we associate with including other missionaries, companions, roommates, leaders, investigators, etc. In a talk given by Elder Bednar, “Character of Christ” (a talk shown only at the MTC that no one can find anywhere and if you do I would appreciate it if you could share it with me because it is seriously the most powerful message I’ve ever heard delivered by Elder Bednar), he discusses that in order to develop that type of love we have to always turn outward to those around us instead of turning in towards ourselves. In teaching this is especially difficult because rather that evaluating how you as a teacher can improve, we focus on how we can better improve helping the investigator. It is never about you.
  3. Something I thought interesting was in our first orientation one of the presidency was talking about all the missionaries speaking a foreign language and he asked them all to stand. Afterward he talked to the native speaking missionaries and asked us all to stand. We, thinking we were lucky enough to be speaking our native language were quickly asked if it would be okay if we learned how to speak a different language while we were here. So lucky me I will be able to speak a new language, the language of the Spirit.
  4. We as members of the church know more than we think we do. I am shocked to find out how much I already know and how prepared I am to actually teach real life people whose “salvation is on the line.” With that being said, I can’t believe how much I am learning and how much I am growing spiritually in just one week.
I’m positive I didn’t share everything I wanted to but I hope you got to get a glimpse of how great the gospel is and how excited and happy I am to be here serving my Savior. My District is awesome-we have 12 missionaries which is a lot and not usual-and I am blessed to serve in the capacity of District Leader. I love getting to know all of them and make these lasting relationships. Life here is busy and crazy but that just means that the work is moving forward at a rapid pace. The food is good and I am trying my hardest to proportion myself so that I don’t come home in 2 years with an extra 100 pounds.
I know this church is true. I know God's love all of you and He loves me and we are all His children. He cares deeply about all of His children and the only way back to Him is through “Faith in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End (Temple Ordinances and Covenants). I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I love you all! Thank you for your emails and letters and support! I’m praying for you!


Godspeed,
Elder Milius


PS: I’m trying to get pictures uploaded so sorry if I can’t.
PPS: I love getting responses but I would appreciate it if they were directly to me instead of on the group email so as not to send it to everyone! Thanks for your consideration!


Mailing Address:
Elder Michael Steven Milius
JUL26-AL BIRM
2005 N. 900 E. Unit 246
Provo, UT 84602

No comments:

Post a Comment