Monday, June 25, 2018

25 June 2018 - Elder Milius Week 104

Weatherly got wet!

This was a phrase that Elder Maness used a lot when he served here and he was here for about 7.5 months. We finally did it though. I'll send pictures! :) Other than that not too eventful of a week, but when you're competing with a baptism nothing else as a missionary is more exciting. We did find a few more potentials to start working with and re-contacted a couple formers who are interested still. Fun times, fast times!

Number One:
Evans Baptism was amazing. I don't really know how else to describe it. As a missionary you always kinda hope that you'll be able to baptize your last transfer; that you'll be able to see one more person enter into the waters of baptism. Fortunately, Heavenly Father allowed me the privilege of being a "lucky" Missionary. I can't thank my Heavenly Father enough for being able to watch the Latham family. Thoughts of Alma 32, Moroni 6, and 2 Nephi 31 come to mind when I think of their process and mine with them. But, it was more than just a baptism, it was more than just one person starting on the path, it was more than I could have ever thought. It was a family taking a huge step to come back on the path, and it was a young boy who was setting the example and bringing Light to his family, and it was a ward who, after years of trying, finally got to see some of the fruits of their efforts. It was perfect. I can begin to express the spirit that was at that particular service. All were emotional, and I believe it's because we all understood that it was much bigger than what we actually saw. Evans Baptism was not only something he will remember for the rest of his life, but something all those who were in attendance, myself included, will never forget. It has been a miracle long coming with the prayers, fasting, hard work, and patience in the Lord's work exhibited by members and missionaries alike. I know that the Lord is aware of all of His children. And I know how much He cares about the little things. I am a witness that this is His Gospel, it is His church, and it is the way to live with our Father in Heaven-and our families again-for all eternity.

And, if that whole experience wasn't enough, his confirmation topped it off. I was asked to confirm him (the last time I was asked to do that for a lady who got baptized in Fort Payne the Branch President started the ordinance himself, haha) and all morning I was thinking of things to bless him with. In the end however, I can't tell you what I said but I know that he is going to be a huge leader and example in the future to his family and to all those he associates with. It was a powerful experience and an even greater miracle to be a part of it.

Moving on from that, I want to share a story about last week. We were playing sports in the gym on P-Day and one of the Elders in our District started having some breathing problems and problems controlling his heart rate. After him resting a bit he asked for a blessing. I had the privilege to anoint and then Elder Hanratty (remember him?) gave the blessing. It was a neat experience first because I remember giving a blessing two years ago in the MTC with Elder Hanratty, and both of us have come a long way. That was kinda nostalgic. Second however, it was powerful having five 19 or 20 year-olds in a circle giving a blessing to one of their friends. How amazing it was to me to stand and feel the "spiritual power" coming from us missionaries. Normal kids our age don't do what we had the opportunity to, and to me that was an event worth reporting.
District Meeting this past week was another one of those spiritual, "this-wouldn't-normally-happen" experiences. We had a really good discussion on how to teach the members of the church how to do missionary work. I believe that most members want to share the gospel and just don't really know where to start. That's where our responsibility comes in as the missionaries, to help them find out where! It's never been so clear to me until now how important of a job it is to teach and train the members in this great gathering that the Prophet is calling us all to participate in.
Following District Meeting we had exchanges up in Byrd Springs. I went out with Elder Braithwaite...again. Its weird to go out with people you've already been out with just in different places. Back when I was in Tupelo I went on an exchange with Elder Braithwaite and also after I moved to Smithville, we went on exchanges. Anyway we went and visited several members and did some great work there. We had this one lesson with Sister Hundley who has been less-active for a while. Elder Braithwaite hadn't even met her he had only talked to her on the phone. But we went and visited for a while, brought Brother Gallagher with us-which was amazing-and the Spirit got really strong. So strong in fact that she literally said, "I don't know, I believe in God it's just hard for me to feel like I have a personal relationship with Him." How plain and clear is that for a concern?! So we invited her to pray to know if God loved her and to read the Book of Mormon looking for God's love. It was a really cool lesson and I'm glad I got to be a part of it. The rest of the exchange went pretty well, a lot of good laughs.
Like I said, we contacted a few other people and re-contacted others. One of those was a guy named Eric. He had been taught a little under a year ago and was really interested, on baptismal date and everything. Well he backed off for a while and we haven't been able to contact him since we've been here. Until one day when it was stormy outside. We decided to walk to see this lady we had previously met and she wasn't home. I thought to go down a particular street to knock on some doors. And, what do you know, we tracted into Eric's in-laws and he came out and met us! His son Aiden met us too and was pretty excited to see the missionaries again. That was cool. I'm convinced that at this point any thought I receive comes from the Spirit so I just kinda follow it and it usually works out. Another experience that was kinda like that, a domino effect, started with the Brownings. We had them for dinner but they had to cancel. So we came and ate at home and therefore spent the time around hear finding rather than by their house. We went to an apartment complex and followed-up with a guy we met who was more or less actually interest and found Alesha. She had talked to missionaries before and said she would let us know when we could come back this week. Then we ran into another former named Anthony who set up an appointment for us to come back Wednesday. Spiritual Dominoes is a fun game haha!
Last night we had a cool meeting with the Shellmans. Sister Shellman, the member, has been super stressed. We had planned to share a Restoration lesson with them but instead ended up talking about the trials and pressing forward and telling jokes. Sometimes, a joke can be as powerful as a scripture.

We met several other people just by talking to everyone--funny how that works. That's one thing that I hope I'll be able to keep up once I got home, talking to everyone.

Funny Ones:
  • The Parable of the Sundae: After District Meeting we went to Dairy Queen and all got lunch. It took a while for some of us to get food and stuff but eventually we all got it except for Elder Holm's summer-berry blizzard. The lady came around the corner with summer-berry sundae in hand. Immediately Elder Holm politely corrected her when she offered it to him and told her he ordered a blizzard. She said okay and then asked if anyone wanted it and Elder Briggs quickly responded in the affirmative. Elder Holm got what he asked for eventually, but missed the opportunity to have a Sundae as well. Just as blessings come in life, we sometimes are too busy looking for exactly what we want that we miss the small miracles and opportunities right in front of us. When it comes to receiving answers, blessings, miracles, or guidance...don't be picky.
  • Over the phone Elder Holm said, "Fortune Cookie" in an Asian accent and it sounded like he said a naughty word cookie...
  • While on Exchanges
-Elder Holm: "Gordon B Hinckley said tracting is horrible!"
-Me: "That is not what he said."
  • Elder Braithwaite fell on his bike and almost ate it. The funny part was when I came up on the curb I thought to myself, "I wonder if he will make it up that." My thoughts were interrupted by him falling.
  • I saw a bumper sticker that said "I'm a Rocket Scientist." Only in Huntsville.
  • Is 'color' spelled with an "-ar?" "Motar?"
  • As we were about a mile or more away from home on foot we got a text for a tornado warning. Unfortunately I didn't have to use my Priesthood to stop the storm.
  • We ate at this place called Peppered Pig. It was a good truck with amazing barbecue. Not really a funny story but it was good food!
  • Someone yelled, "Hail Satan!" at us as we were walking down the street. That's literally like the fifth or sixth time we've gotten that. Maybe it's the same people.
  • We brought three clipboards in to church for different sign-up lists.
  • We found a bike route street sign that fell down in a storm and I want it. Those bolts are hard to undo though :/

It was a good week. And one of the lessons I learned the most was that Ferris Buller had it right. He said, "Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." As a missionary and as a missionary with two weeks left to go I want to get as much in as I can. While that is good, sometimes I feel like you can go too fast and forget to stop and look at all the miracles around you. You can forget to stop and laugh with you companion or other missionaries and you can forget that this is His work and it will get done eventually, so enjoy being a part of it. I love this work and I know it's true. If nothing else, it's changed me.


Scriptures of the Week:
"To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth....
"Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me and sent forth to preach the word of truth by the Comforter, in the Spirit of truth, doth he preach it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?
"And if it be by some other way it is not of God.
"And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?
"If it be some other way it is not of God.
"Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth?
"Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together....
"That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.
"And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you;
"He that is ordained of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding he is the least and the servant of all."
(D&C 50:14-26)

I love y'all! Hope you have a blessed week!

Much Love,
Elder Milius



-- 
Godspeed,
ELDER MICHAEL S. MILIUS
ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM MISSION
"Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." ~3 Nephi 5:13









No comments:

Post a Comment