Sunday, December 3, 2017

27 November 2017 - Elder Milius Week 74

To all whom it may concern:

    It was a very Happy Thanksgiving here in the South! Shout-out to Wes & Lindsay for feeding my companion and I! It was an awesome experience for me and hope it was mutual! We had a full week still of missionary work and we have another full week ahead. I don’t have a ton of time today so forgive me if I haven’t email y’all back but we were busy playing Gator Ball in Tuscaloosa with our zone. Anyway, I’ll stop wasting time and just get to the week.
    A couple updates on those that you know: Brenda is still struggling. Her daughter was addicted to some medication but she got off of that, luckily, and then was at home with Brenda (her mom). But, on Friday night I believe she went back into the hospital and wasn’t doing too good. We went over to visit Brenda on Sunday morning and her daughter was on a ventilator and that was really the only thing keeping her alive. I hope all goes well, but we are trying to help her as much as we can-by helping her get baptized in December would be the ideal.
    Kenneth is an investigator that we’ve been working with for a while. He has a desire to change but he has some pretty hefty roadblocks in his way, alcohol being one of them. He has an addiction and it’s been a struggle to help him change but this past week he broke down crying because of how he sees his life. It’s really sad, and as frustrating as he is to work with sometimes, there hasn’t been another person in my entire mission who I’ve felt needed our help as much as this guy. Rick, a recent convert of earlier this year, went through and overcame an alcohol addiction so we are trying to use him as a resource for Kenneth. But that’s that guy!
    On Tuesday we went on exchanges and I went out with Elder Townsend-a stud of a missionary. This is his second transfer and Elder Egbert is training him up in Madison. We taught some people and really had a great day! We met a lady named Twila who got “tired of standing at the door” so invited us in. When we started to account Joseph Smith’s story to her she told us to wait, that she needed her phone. Great….but the reason she needed it was so that she could take notes! It was really cool and we went back again and invited her to be baptized on December 30th. So she’ll be one to keep looking out for in the coming weeks. We also met a lady named Shebra who I was courageous (finally) and tried the approach that I’ve been thinking about for months now. *Door opens and we introduce ourselves* “So, we have a question to ask you.” (Her) “Sure.” (Us) “Will you follow the example of Jesus Christ by being baptized by someone holding the priesthood authority of God?” She then asked me to repeat it and after I did she said, “Well, what do you need me to do?” That was awesome and totally something I wasn’t expecting. She wasn’t there for our return appointment but they were traveling and stuff for Thanksgiving so that may turn into something!
    Speaking of Thanksgiving, like I said, ours was great. But before all the food we pulled into this apartment complex and we were going to try and knock some doors. There was a lady who was taking out some tables and chairs so we volunteered our help and she walked us to her home. Turns out Mesha had been on a “spiritual journey” and was looking for truth. Her and her husband were trying to get themselves back into church to prepare for their family (she’s pregnant with their first together). She wanted to wait for her husband to get home because he drives a truck before we came over, but blessings of having the intent to knock doors on Thanksgiving!
    A couple of other people were met along the way. We ran into a guy named Riley who had been taught in the past by the missionaries and helped him take in some groceries one night. We felt inspired to go see a less-active who subsequently moved but we met Lindsey and her friend who now live in that apartment (we followed them up to their appartment very awkwardly). We had Spanish Conference for all the Spanish missionaries. And, we went to that one Bible Study group that we found that one day. We asked to teach but they said that they would have to clear it with their pastor first…

  • I walked into an open door this week and talked to Stephen who is a strong Athiest.
  • Elder Townsend and I held doors open for people coming into Jim-n-Nicks BBQ while waiting for the family that was feeding us to get there.
  • There was a girl, probably in her 20s that called Elder Lewis and I “two good-looking men.”
  • I was sore on Friday from playing in the Turkey Bowl.
  • So was Elder Lewis.
  • A guy came out in his boxers and said, “Now is not a good time, not in the mood to talk. I’m in my boxers so, have a good night.” Like I couldn’t see him in his boxers….he answered the door that way...some people ya know!
  • We asked a family for a spiritual thought this week what they were grateful for and one of the boys said, “Star Wars Battlefront 2…..and cousins.”
  • Alabama lost in the Iron Bowl and I thought people were going to kill us just because we were available and they were angry. Felt that way a few times.

    I hope y’all had a great week and Thanksgiving was great! Be sure to go on mormon.org and look at the #LighttheWorld campaign for this year! Share it all over, it’s awesome! Merry Christmas, Mom. Let me know if I can do anything for any of y’all and have a blessed week!

Much Love,
Elder Milius

PS: I will send pictures as soon as I can!
-- 
Godspeed,
ELDER MICHAEL S. MILIUS
ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM MISSION
"Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." ~3 Nephi 5:13













No comments:

Post a Comment