Tuesday, December 6, 2016

5 December 2016 - Elder Milius Week 23

Amigos y familia,

Hola! How are y’all doing this fine Monday? I hope well! Looking forward to Christmas coming up as much as I am! This week was pretty normal but there were a few fun stories that I will share with you!

On Tuesday we were able to go serve at the Bread of Life soup kitchen that they have here in Fort Payne and what an amazing experience that was. As a missionary you have this weird ability to talk to people on the street and so when they were all blocked in a room it made it that much easier. Within the first moments of being there we participated in giving a lady a Priesthood Blessing. After which there were several people who pulled me to the side and confided in me the feelings that they were having and the struggles they were going through. I love to be in that position, because I felt as if I was standing where our Savior stands for all of us. And, as the Savior points all the glory to His Father-our Father, I directed all those conversations to Jesus Christ. Along with that, we were able to show the #LIGHTtheWORLD video as people were eating and it brought such a sweet Spirit into that crowded room (like it always does). I always get emotional because I’m a cry baby but I know that we are all Lights pointing one way or the other, and as we follow the Savior we can beckon others “Come, Follow Him.” We’ve received several mormon.org referrals from this campaign and it’s amazing to see how the work is hastening and to be a part of it.

Later that night, as some of you might know, a tornado came through the Northeastern corner of Alabama and hit 30-45 minutes west of Fort Payne. The damage was unbelievable and on Saturday we drove through it to see if anyone needed help as far as clean-up went. I have seen destruction like this on the news before, and I’ve lived in the Mid-West long enough to know what a Tornado does, but driving through a ghost town with foundations of buildings left was an interesting feeling to say the least. It made me so grateful for what I have and I hope we can all recognize the blessings that we have before they are all taken from us in a matter of seconds. 

One last story happened on Sunday afternoon. We were out contacting and went up to a house where there was a guy outside working. When we walked up we realized that this man spoke very little English...and Elder Morley speaks zero. So as I called upon the powers of my High School Spanish education I walked back to the car to grab a copy of El Libro de Mormon and a REstoration pamphlet I had in Spanish. I tried to the best of my abilities to speak and teach this man about the Book of Mormon and the Restoration. We left him with the libro and the pamphlet and will be going back on domingo (sunday) afternoon. I better get studying my Spanish….we’ll see how far I can take it! 

Also, as I remember, we were able to watch the Worldwide First Presidency Christmas Devotional! I loved the progression of the talks and I love how the messages shared were not aimed towards The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints; they were for the world, and the things that were shared went right along with the campaign to #LIGHTtheWORLD and focus on Christ and the gift He gave all of God’s children. May we remember our Savior during the Christmas season and always! 

Wow, the work is true! I’m excited for this upcoming month because it is packed full of trainings and temple trips and Christmas parties and Baptisms! We will be having our baptism for Lynn on Saturday and we are super excited for her and the covenants she is making with our Heavenly Father. What a Christmas present that is! Y’all stay safe and have a wonderful season celebrating Christ’s birth!

Much Love,
Elder Milius

-- 
Godspeed,
ELDER MICHAEL S. MILIUS
ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM MISSION

"Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." ~3 Nephi 5:13









No comments:

Post a Comment