Monday, May 7, 2018

30 April 2018 - Elder Milius Week 96

Bikes, ticks, and bipolar weather.

Hey y'all! Happy Monday. Hope everyone is doing good! We have a little more time this week as we aren't driving down to go to the temple this morning--as much as I wish we were. And, there isn't too much to talk about from the past few days but I'm sure I can come up with something.
First off, Elder Holm is doing great. He is getting used to biking and walking all day for hours on end and by the time 9:00 rolls around he is ready to crash. Definitely earning our pillows. It's cool to watch him grow as a teacher though. These next few months with him are going to be reflective to say the least. In teaching and training it's been nostalgic to remember back on all of the things I've learned on my mission thus far. To remember all of the hard times and good times; the miracles and the trials; the sweat and the tears; and the relationship I've had the opportunity to develop with my Savior and my Heavenly Father.
Biggest highlight of the week however is with Mike. I shared briefly about him in my last email, and like I said before he is an awesome guy. He is on the older end of the spectrum but has really changed the kind of person he is since the missionaries found him. In his own words he has come from a complete "wretch" to a "good guy." Haha! But, he had always said that he wasn't going to get baptized. Mostly he was afraid that the Lord wouldn't keep his promise of the Holy Ghost as the Scriptures depict it. This past Friday though he texted us and said that he wanted to meet for a few minutes in Saturday as they were getting ready to leave for a funeral of his wife's father in Oklahoma on Sunday. When we came in he sat us down and said, "Alright, I only have one question." (Mind you in the text he told us he wanted to talk about him getting "dunked" so we figured this was either a quick, good visit or a quick, not so good visit). He continued, "Do missionaries have the authority to baptize?" We said yes and then went on to explain the Priesthood a little more in detail. He then took a minute and said, "OK... This is going to be hard to say, but... Schedule me." We could've jumped up and down and do flips but we were constrained by the Spirit I guess. In the end Mike has decided that this is something he would like to do and he is now preparing to be baptized in May 26th.
Not much else I can say to top that but we met a guy named Anthony who has expressed his desire to be baptized. The missionaries used to visit with him but then after a while they lost contact with him. We contacted him and are hopefully going to be able to teach him again. Facebook has been a big help, we've been able to at least have that means of communication and when he doesn't have a phone number, that helps!
We've met a couple other New people this week but not too much to say there. I did talk to Theresa this week from my last area and she said that the boys, Jabori and Javon with be baptized this coming Saturday so hopefully that works out! That was exciting news to hear.
Elder Holm was able to borrow a bike from a member of the ward so we haven't been limited to foot transportation which has been nice. But, on Thursday the sky decided to drop a ton of liquid and we got drenched. Elder Holm wasn't excited about it but it was all good. He also found a tick on his leg this morning so he is getting introduced to Alabama quickly! Give it a couple more months and there won't be much else he will have to adjust to.

We had a good lesson with a Less-active family this past week. They are the Harris' and they have five kids whose names all end with "N". We taught them the Rubix Cube Restoration lesson and it was in the context of priorities-that was something Brother Harris wanted us to talk about. It was like any other lesson but I was touched by the power of a simple testimony: "I know that Joseph's experience is true and I know that Jesus Christ restored His church through the Prophet Joseph." What else can you say after that? I would encourage all of you, if you don't already have a testimony of that to get one. If you have one, strengthen it. I have found such comfort and joy in knowing that simple testimony to be true. That statement along with "Jesus Christ lives" are the foundation of my whole ministry and personal testimony.

Funny Snipits:
  • The first day we were out riding our bikes I got back to mine and there was a fresh bird poop on my helmet.
  • I bought a Hammock not too long ago and I finally put it up on our back balcony. That's where I am typing up my email actually.
  • A guy named Michael came to a door and says, "I don't agree with what y'all are sharing. What do you share?" (LOL). My response was, "Well we teach people about the Gospel of Jesus Christ! How we need to have faith, repent, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. We teach people about Christ and how He has restored that Gospel." Michael said, "Oh... OK! " People make me laugh sometimes. Watch him and his family get baptized in a couple months.
  • In this mission we work until 9:00pm, even if that means you stand at your neighbors door and knock four times to try and meet them.

It was another good week. Sunday was a much better day to meet members of our ward because it wasn't Stake Conference. AND we got to partake of the Sacrament which I always look forward to. Aren't we so blessed to be able to renew our covenants weekly?! In Sacrament Meeting though there was a young man who just had returned from his mission in Taiwan. He talked obviously a lot about what he had learned on his mission but he gave his talk in the context of developing our own personal Ministries. With the new changes to the church policy of ministering I believe that the members are able to experience more of the ministry we as missionaries are able to do. We find people and determine their needs, we set goals for that individual and make plans to help them, and we act according to those plans to accomplish our goal (mostly being to help this individual come closer to Christ). All of this is done by the inspiration of the Spirit and not having a set "lesson" or requirement leaves room for the Spirit to inspire us in how best to help families and others in our path. I'll only add three words: Preach My Gospel (D&C 50:14).

I hope you all have a wonderful week and if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask!

Much Love,
Elder Milius

PS: Check this out, I think this is amazing!













No comments:

Post a Comment