Monday, September 18, 2017

18 September 2017 - Elder Milius Week 64

Boy and Girls,

    It was another great week in Tupelo, sorta...mostly, we’ll go with mostly! First thing’s first though..I do not have my transfer news yet. We are supposed to get it today so if I find out and I still have access to a computer I will forward it later. But I’m almost positive I will be staying here in Tupelo, just hoping I’m staying here with Elder Stanford. With that being said I’ll go into talking about all the amazing people here in Mississippi (a.k.a. “God’s Country,” Sister Mary Jo A.).
    So, the Mangrum family can start us off! They were the family that we fasted to find who would get baptized this coming transfer! They moved in maybe a month ago now, but are a family of four and are looking for a church home (nailed it). We saw Ms. Mangrum last week and showed her a short video message about the Book of Mormon and introduced that to her to start reading. She was super excited and then told us that she met someone at work who knew us or knew who we were-not a member of the church though-and were totally talking us up! It was cool. They will get baptized and we are hopefully going over to visit them today to share with them the Restoration.
    AJ is doing great and is on track for his baptism this Saturday! Him and Danny (his friend who is a Returning Member) literally make me so happy. I couldn’t be more proud of the progress they’ve both made in the church-now they just need a job. But, I believe it will come and i’m excited for both of them! They need to go serve missions and make me cry!! But we are excited for this Saturday at 4pm!
    There is also a young lady who is our age who lives in our apartment complex that we finally got to share a message with. We are hoping to follow-up with her soon but she seemed interested in reading the Book of Mormon! And there is another guy in our complex who we went and shared a message with yesterday and have another appointment with next week. The people in our complex are homies and they are all our age and somewhat interested in what we do! It’s pretty cool, I think!
    Keshaun is my sad story for the week. So, he has been on date for a while and he was scheduled to be baptized same as AJ this Saturday. We had it all planned, the program basically made, the interviews done for the most part and they both were set. But, on Saturday evening around 7:30 or so we got a text from Keshaun and he bailed. We didn’t really get a reasoning from him, just that he needed more time and that it “wasn’t really him.” I can promise you that I’ve never really felt heartbreak in my entire life until that point. We were devastated and what was worse was we had to put on our happy face and finish our night. But, for the rest of that night we were worried sick about what had happened and about how we could fix it. We’ve still talked about it since and are praying constantly that it all works out and he can be baptized and receive those blessings. There are a couple members that are going to talk with him and see what we can do but it was probably the saddest I’ve been on my mission. I have learned more about our Heavenly Father’s love than any other experience because I, like Him, felt my heart drop for Keshaun. I love that kid too much, and I hope and pray he rediscovers his testimony of the Restoration and of the Church. Pray for him.
    That’s pretty much everyone that needed to be updated. We are also working with a young man named Ryan who needs to be baptized. His family situation is just weird but he knows so much and he believes it all so hopefully we’ll be able to work through the details in order to get him to church and stuff. Everybody else is doing pretty great and we’re still finding and teaching and baptizing! The reason why though is the members, they are super awesome and it’s just been a domino effect of Recent Converts bringing their friends into the church. If you have any specific questions about people you remember and were interested in just let me know!

  • Brother Hooper-the same guy who challenged us to the steak-told us about all sorts of pranks they did on his mission. One of them was they made people pee blue using an aquarium algae cleaner. Don’t know if it works, yet.
  • The Thordersons in the ward are related to Christopher Layton through the wife right after my family...can’t remember those numbers exactly but that was a cool connection to make! He had a big book and it had my family’s name in it!
  • We had interviews with President and that was great! Some of the best interviews I’ve had and Elder Stanford and I came prepared with questions...a lot of them. But I learned a lot!
  • Elder Stanford clogged the toilet at a memebrs home this week, lol. 
  • One of the Sister’s investigators was baptized this past weekend and it was amazing! The spirit was so strong and I don’t understand why not a lot of people go to those baptisms! So spiritually uplifting we thought Saturday was Sunday.
  • We contacted, or tried to contact, a deaf guy and a blind guy in the same afternoon. 
  • Elder Stanford bought a clown costume for too much money intending to return it after he scared Sister Tunuufi with it, but that didn’t work. First of all they found the costume so the prank didn’t work and secondly after being opened the costume couldn’t be returned (which is not what they told him when he bought it). But we got lots of pictures and then Sister Tunuufi wanted to face her fear so he dressed up and took pictures with her anyway! Happy Halloween.

    I was a mostly great week! Keshaun was a bummer, a heartbreak like I said, but AJ is doing good and the area is still flourishing! Couldn’t find another story that beat $10,000 or a steak marinated in Hell Sauce. But God is good, and He always is teaching us something, if only we would listen and hear Him. Make it a great week y’all, love ya!

Much Love,
Elder Milius



-- 
Godspeed,
ELDER MICHAEL S. MILIUS
ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM MISSION

"Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." ~3 Nephi 5:13











No comments:

Post a Comment