Monday, February 13, 2017

13 February 2017 - Elder Milius Week 33

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!

Hello again from Wetumpka, AL! Life out here is great, most of the time, but I can honestly say that being a missionary I’ve never been better! There were quite a few experiences that I had this past week that really strengthened my testimony and gave be a greater motivation to “lift up [my] head and rejoice!” 
I will start off talking about Lisa. On Tuesday, we got rained in again for basically the entire day which wasn’t too fun but we did get to go see Lisa! She is doing awesome and we’ve now taught her everything and she seemed to be headed straight for the font...or so we thought. On Friday we went back to teach her The Gospel of Jesus Christ with a member and she loved it, agreed with everything, but then when we asked if she would be coming to church on Sunday she told us “I can’t this Sunday, I’m going to my church.” What?!? I honestly didn’t know what to say and after a few long seconds of silence with no response coming anytime soon the member bailed us out and said “Well I would love to pick you up the next week!” So it all worked out but Lisa did not come to church this Sunday and we have made a plan to re-teach her the Restoration and re-commit her to baptism, clearly laying out what that entails. But, I think-I know-that with the help of the Lord and the Spirit, Lisa will understand and she will become converted to the fulness of the gospel because she does believe the Book of Mormon to be true and Joseph Smith to be a prophet of God; and EVERYTHING hinges on that testimony. But, that’s where we are at with Lisa currently. 
Most, if not all, of our other Investigators were dropped this past week or getting close to that point. It was a good week going into Friday and then Friday was a brick wall, but then Saturday and Sunday picked it back up to normal. We did have an exchange in Prattville with the Zone Leaders this past week and we did have a cool experience with Tim. Tim was an 18-year-old that Elder Coleman had met before but we were in Wal-Mart talking with him and miraculously set up an appointment to meet up and teach him later that night. So we met him at the church building and sat in the chapel and just started going. We taught him about the Restoration, about prophets, about the Book of Mormon and what it means, about the Priesthood, all of this stuff and Tim took it great! It was probably one of the best lessons I’ve ever been in and I think it’s because it was more of a conversation than a lesson. Elder Coleman and I had only been “teaching” together for like 4 hours earlier but it went super smooth and all three of us were adding input, it was great. I don’t know what’s going on with the follow-up situation, but I know that the initial meeting and teaching him was a fantastic teaching experience for me.
As I said, Friday was a wall, but Saturday and Sunday picked it up! Saturday we went to this neighborhood that is the-for the lack of a better term-ghetto area. It’s called Crenshaw. We were following up with Lisa and had a few other names to go contact but we were just looking for New Investigators. When we rode into the neighborhood we were immediately met by like three 13-year-old boys on bikes who we were kinda messing around with. But I told them that we were going to go talk to people about Jesus and they all decided to follow us. So for a couple hours we were walking around with three boys teaching all their neighbors. It was surprisingly very effective and something to just kinda lift me up ya know! We have several return appointments from that day and are excited to hopefully witness the fruits of those lessons.
Sunday we had set up an appointment to contact Chastity. She’s a new name and we found her while we were making phone calls from our Area Book trying to find New Investigators (to replace all the non-progressing ones). We had previously watched the District and the Elders were going through the same records we were but they had prayerfully selected a few names. So, in desperation, we prayerfully chose names to call and Chastity was one of them. In meeting with her Sunday she lives at home with her husband and her two kids. She grew up in church but doesn’t go any longer and really wants to get back into church. We are praying that we can continue to meet with and teach this family!! It’s hard because they both work crazy schedules but they are an awesome family with tons of potential (and possibly 4 baptisms because her kids are 13 and 9)!
Right after Chastity we went to contact an “Investigator” that we’ve seen in our Area Book since getting to Wetumpka. His uncle was there a couple times we stopped by and lo and behold when we went back again his uncle, Ken, was sitting outside. Ken has extreme back pains-to the point of not being able to move-and so we sat down and started just visiting with him for a little bit. Elder Harris left him with a thought, Alma 7:11-12, and we were about to leave. BUT...there’s a but...But, the entire time we had been sitting with him I kept feeling like we should offer him a Priesthood Blessing. I kept fighting it because usually you don’t solicit those things and he wasn’t as familiar with a “Blessing” and I didn’t know what I was going to say to him in a blessing but I did it anyway. I started talking about the miracle Christ performed and how we hold that same power today. He was open for a blessing and so I walked him through it and we gave him a blessing and left. Walking away Elder Harris told me he had the same impression so we both knew it was from the Spirit. I don’t know what is going to happen with Ken, whether he will accept the gospel or if he will even feel any better, but I know and I hope that at least his faith in Jesus Christ and in a Loving Heavenly Father was increased. I know mine was. 
Anyways, sorry for the long email this week but like I said there were a few people who really strengthened me this week and helped me get through the “brick walls” of missionary work! I hope y’all have a good week this week and I will talk to you on TUESDAY next week! Also, we get Transfer Calls (not like it means anything to me, I just get Emergency Transferred) but just be aware that I might be moving on Wednesday...I’ll let you know on Tuesday in my email! Love y’all! 

  • We got another free pocket knife from a different guy.
  • We played ping-pong for a couple hours last p-day and bought legit paddles and balls...we’re getting serious about our ping-pong.
  • James showed us a crazy video about a “drug trip” and it had some weird doctrinal connections.
  • I beat those three 13-year-olds in a bike race.
  • We ran out of copies of the Book of Mormon on Saturday.
  • A lady commended us for coming and serving in the “black community” but not to come over to her car because they were doing some “illegal stuff.” 
  • One of the boys told us to pray over a guys 4-wheeler that wouldn’t start.
  • Dogs either hate us or love us.
  • I threw a cake in Sister Farr's face.
  • Smelling someone smoking weed is a pretty nice break from smelling cigarettes, not gonna lie.
  • And today we played capture the flag in a bamboo forest with our Zone :)


“Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.” (Alma 26:27)

Worst Day Ever?
Today was the absolute worst day ever
And don't try to convince me that
There's something good in every day
Because, when you take a closer look,
This world is a pretty evil place.
Even if
Some goodness does shine through once in a while
Satisfaction and happiness don't last.
And it's not true that
It's all in the mind and heart
Because
True happiness can be attained
Only if one's surroundings are good
It's not true that good exists
I'm sure you can agree that
The reality
Creates
My attitude
It's all beyond my control
And you'll never in a million years hear me say 
Today was a very good day

(Now read it from the bottom to the top).


Life is all about perspective; you can always choose your attitude! Make it a good week!
Much Love,
Elder Milius


-- 
Godspeed,
ELDER MICHAEL S. MILIUS
ALABAMA BIRMINGHAM MISSION

"Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life." ~3 Nephi 5:13



If you zoom in on that sign, you'll see why I took the picture. Welcome to the South! We need to add our church to it.



 This clock is from the 1670s
 I threw a cake in Sister Farr's face
 We played capture the flag in a bamboo forest with our Zone
 Elder Milius branding Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment